Thursday, November 1, 2007

My Mother, the Axe Murderer





This year is little Ricky's first year of officially going door-to-door and threatening tricks if no treats are given. This is his third Halloween. The first and second Halloween were spent going to specific houses of friends and family to show off our child in his adorable costume. This year he is old enough to speak in sentences, walk up and down steps, and hold his own pumpkin basket. He walked with his Dad while I captured every minute with my new camera and video camera.

We just walked up and down our block and visited the neighbors. Although we practiced the whole scenario of saying "Trick or Treat!!" and replying to the gesture by saying "Thank you" Ricky remained silent for more than half the trip and Mark had to do all the "work." As we neared the end of our trip, he actually *did* say thank you to a few women who Mark noticed were nice and nice-looking. They had to be both, not one quality without the other. Kind of funny!

We went to my mom's house to trick or treat and I convinced Mark to wear a scary mask and long hair wig to scare the pants off my mom. It worked. Very funny. After that visit, we were exhausted. However not too exhausted to do something utterly immature.....

With Ricky sitting in his car seat in back and Mark driving, I put on the scary mask (that Ricky is wearing in the picture above) in the passenger seat, rolled down my window, and screammed/growled as loudly as I could (with Mark's help) to anybody on the sidewalk, crosswalk, bus stop, etc. It was so much fun - if this is what boys do, it was a complete blast. The funniest incident was when we growled to a pre-teen boy alone riding his bicycle - he nearly shit in his pants. We laughed for blocks though and I do feel bad for him now, because he looked pretty scared - but the look on his face was absolutely classic.

I turned back to look at little Ricky and he was smiling at me and Mark and I have to wonder what he will say about this when he is older...if he will remember his crazy parents growling at people in the car, with his mother in the axe murderer mask?

No comments: