Sunday, November 4, 2007

Baby Monkey's Bookshelf




This morning I joined NaBloPoMo and I am kind of scared. It seemed like a good idea at the time because I do talk a lot - but how the heck can I come up with quality every day, for 30 days? I guess I'll just have to see what I come up with...

When I was cleaning the bedrooms today, I was struck at how many library books Ricky has. So I decided to take a picture. Here is a picture of Ricky's bookshelf - in particular, the books I checked out of the library at the bottom of the bookcase. You can see the white tags indicating author's last names at the bottom. When I looked up my record at the library last night, it said that I had over 50 children's books checked out.

I wonder if I am crazy checking out so many books for my child. I guess since we read 5-10 books at naptime, then another 5-10 books at bedtime, another 5-10 books I read to him throughout the day, and rotate every day, variety never hurt anyone.
So yes, I do enjoy reading books to my son and I love children's books. I would like to think that all this reading has contributed to his language and verbal development. His sentences are 11-13 words long - not so shabby for a 2 1/2 year old. Oh yeah, and those 14 months I breastfed him too... all that breastmilk should have helped his brain...it better have!!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

My 4-year-old niece thinks the library is singularly the most wonderful place in the world. Where else can you just take something and then bring it back when you're done? She's always explaining how the library works to me--which is fantastic since I'm a middle school librarian and sometimes I forget. :) As any of my child-bearing friends will tell you, I'm a big fan of books as gifts. I always start a library for the children (10-15 books at least) as the shower gift.

(I'm randomly popping up from NaBloPoMo, by the way.)