Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Librarian's Initiation

Before I worked at the public library, I was the type of person who would get sick maybe once a year. There was actually a year there when I went the entire year without a cold. I had migraines - but no viruses of any kind. I look back on that immune systen with fondness because I am getting my butt kicked!

I am sick for the third time in less than 2 months! I *just* finished my antibiotic from my last cold last week and had 5 days of feeling fine and clear. Then I woke up yesterday with the itchy throat and running nose and thought, "NO NO NO!!!!"

You would think that I roll around in public restrooms or eat off the floor at a rest area. But no, it is simply my first flu season working at the public library and my immune system is getting a workout. Two librarian friends of mine all say that their first winter working at the library had them sick constantly - so I guess I don't feel too bad. I suppose this is my initiation. I guess this is better than drinking a whole keg or performing sexual favors for upperclassmen.

The part that drives me crazy is that Ricky has a cold again too - after just getting over one two weeks ago. The minute we are both not sick I am taking us both to get flu shots. The poor kid is exposed to all these germs because of his mama. Mark's building downtown offers free flu shots so I told him he better take advantage of it and go when they are offered.

Today is the coldest day of the year. I don't mind hiding under big sweaters and my fuzzy boots, just as long as I am healthy.

No comments: