Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Infertility & Insurance Anxiety

I just scheduled my first ultrasound for this week at my fertility doctor. After speaking with their billing personnel, I was told that our insurance will cover 100% diagnostic treatment after my $40 co-pay. This was fabulous news given that I paid that co-pay a few weeks ago - and know that the next few weeks will be covered by our insurance 100%.

The bad news is that after the doctor has determined what is 'wrong" and begins 'treatment" our insurance will cover nothing. nada. I was surprised to learn that Clomid (medicine) costs more than an IUI (Intrauterine Insemination). Medicine costs more than a procedure??

Part of me doesn't care how much we pay -we want another child so badly we will pay whatever the cost. The other part of me - that is the SAHM and part time librarian who makes nothing is cringing at the same time.

To be honest, I just learned all of this about 15 minutes prior to writing this blog entry - so I don't really know how I feel about it yet and want to talk to Mark about it when he gets home.

Therefore, I would say that I am suffering from Infertility & Insurance Anxiety - and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other couples out there in this world who just started fertility treament and who are suffering from the same thing right about now.

No comments: