Thursday, January 24, 2008

Breastfeeding in the Hospital & the First Weeks

The thing about breastmilk is that it takes a few days to come in. So after you give birth, you have a choice to either allow your baby to have formula (which is what I did - I can't bear to watch a baby of mine starve - afterall, birth is a major event and he/she would be hungry) or you can do what my friend Cathleen did and not feed the baby (for days) until your milk comes in. It's a personal choice.

Ricky was born on a Sunday morning and my milk didn't show up until Wednesday morning. I pumped out colostrum the first few days - which just seemed like a tablespoon here and there - but the nurses were so excited about it and compared it to a shot that would boost Ricky's immune system.

None of the breastfeeding books prepared me for what I experienced. When I woke up wednesday morning, my breasts were HUGE and hard as rocks. I mean Double D's!! I was never a big breasted girl and it felt odd. I can't lie and say it didn't hurt. It really did. I pumped and tried nursing Ricky multiple times. He had a hard time latching on and I had a hard time figuring out if he was latched on or not. The lactation consultants and my nurses helped me a lot.

Finally, when he latched on, I was overwhelmed by my let-down. I was shocked by the pins-and-needles feeling and my initial reaction was to push him off. I have to say adjusting to the let-down took some time for me but after about a week or so, it didn't hurt at all and my body got used to it.

After about two weeks, Ricky had a growth spurt and I was nursing constantly. I would finish a feeding and would have to start all over again soon after. I was so tired I was tempted to quit, but I knew the growth spurts would end and it would be better. So I pressed on.

After a week or so, Ricky and I both got used to nursing and it was great. I watched as I lost the pounds and he gained them - looking very healthy. I think the only thing is that since Ricky wouldn't take a bottle, I was the one nursing - so I couldn't really be away from him for long periods of time and Mark didn't get to feed him. But everyone has a different experience.

Some advice for the first few weeks:
  • Buy some nursing bras that do NOT have underwire. Underwire can constrict your milk glands and create hard little rocks in your breast that hurt later.
  • Use an electric pump or rent one from the hospital - they pump faster and generate more milk than manual ones.
  • Try your best to stick to a nursing schedule - it's good for the baby but will be good for your breasts and milk production
  • Seek the advice and help of the hospital's lactation team and your nurses. Call the lactation consultants while you are home if you have questions. They are there to support you.

No comments: