Friday, September 21, 2007

Movie Recommend: The Painted Veil


This is a movie based on the novel by Somerset Maugham. I never read the book, but I like actors Naomi Watts and Ed Norton, so I took it out of the library. My husband made a comment a few weeks back that he thought this would be a chick flick and the evening I watched it he was conveniently busy at his computer. But that's ok.


I liked this movie more than I thought I would. I did suspect it would be a hit for me because it had all the elements of a movie that the Chipper Librarian is drawn to: sadness, love story, against a beautiful backdrop (China), and historical elements.


It is the story of a woman who marries a doctor without really loving him first. He practices in China and she has an affair while they are living there. He then decides to take her further into the country in the middle of a cholera epidemic.


The book is on my list of Books To Read Before I Die, which I will post at a later date. But I think I liked the fact that this movie stressed the fact that we should love and appreciate those we love in the here and now because nothing lives forever.


Maybe a chick flick, I don't know. I don't want to prevent the men out there from seeing it because it's quite good. I hope that when I feel the urge to watch it again that Mark will be watching it right next to me. Even if he is rolling his eyes.

No comments: