Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Must. Do. More. With. My. Kid.

A developmental therapist and a speech therapist came to our house yesterday for Teddy's evaluation. They were great - they played with him first to get him comfortable and brought toys to watch how he plays. At the end of the appointment, they verbally told us their findings and their recommendations.

1. Teddy needs speech therapy. (surprise!!!) After all the paperwork is dealt with, speech therapy can start right away - once a week. The therapist will come to our house for an hour every week - which is great so I don't have to cart him somewhere.

2. Teddy needs a hearing evaluation at the hospital. Our local hospital called me today to schedule the appointment. He goes next week for an hour for a 4 part test. I have to bring all his comfort items - sippy cup/bottle, blanket, toys that will soothe him. Apparently for 2 of the tests they will put something in his ears and I am afraid he will get freaked out and cry and try to take them out.

3. He doesn't need developmental therapy. The therapist says that she would place him to be around 18 months (oops) even though he's almost 21 months!

4. The evaluation made Mark and I feel really guilty that we don't spend enough time with Teddy. He doesn't know all the sounds animals make, doesn't imitate us, doesn't point at things and say what they are. They asked me about toddler classes, library story times, and I told them Teddy's class was canceled and I am going to register him for another one. I also made it sound like I take him to story time at the library all the time even though I've only taken him once!!!! They asked how he is at the park and the park equipment, etc. It was that kind of situation. I get the picture. I made all the time in the world for Ricky - at this age I had him in 3 classes/play group per week. I now know that taking him to the Children's Museum and the Exploritorium are important rather than a treat. While Ricky is at school, I need to treat Teddy like he's my first child - my one and only.

5. A big discovery was that they told him that he's very limber - since he likes to sit in a W shape on the floor and the recommended gymnastics classes.

6. The speech therapist suggested giving him straws to drink from, and to drink lemonade before meals because if he is very limber, he must be too limber in the mouth area as well and the sour taste may wake him mouth muscles up.

So I've been making it a point to talk to him as much as I can and they suggested using sign language. He doesn't seem to have any disabilities, so that's good. I guess we'll have to wait to see how much he can hear and go from there.

1 comment:

The Captain's Wife said...

I am so glad that you have a direction. Once a week therapy is awesome. I really need to call back and get Little K re-evaluated....