Monday, September 27, 2010

5 is Too Old for the Women's Bathroom? Really???

On Ricky's kindergarten field trip to the zoo this past Friday, I was in charge of 4 boys (including Ricky). Call me crazy, call me over-protective, but I always took them to the women's bathroom with me - so I could monitor them - and make sure the stalls they were entering didn't have some freaky, sick sexual predator waiting for them inside. The boys seemed fine with this.

At the end of our field trip, I ran into another mom chaperone who was in charge of 3 boys. We decided to stop by the bathroom on our way to the bus and she started leading the boys in the direction of the men's room. I asked her if she was going to the Men's - as I have been taking them to the Women's and she flat-out said that she thinks they are "way too old to be going to the Women's bathroom."

So we opened the door and there was a man in there - another chaperone - but we didn't know if there were any other adult males in there. The other mom sent the boys she was in charge of but I kept mine until I knew the bathroom was completely empty except for our boys.

So my question is, how old is too old to be going to the Women's bathroom? I clearly disagree with the other mom. When I go shopping with Ricky, I take him to the Women's, because I am not going to let him go into the Men's bathroom - alone- only to have some man molest him.

I was in charge of 3 other mom's babies - and I wanted to make sure that no harm was going to come their way. I can't believe this other mom would just send the boys in the Men's bathroom without checking it first even. But then again, like my ex-friend said, I *am* overprotective.

3 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

I guess this could be a sticky subject. I think that if you have a group like this, and they can go in together, I would allow them into the mens room (pervs are not going to attempt anything if there is more than 1), however if it was just me and the kid, he/she would go into the bathroom with the adult in charge. Make sense?

Carrie Ann said...

I think that's a good solution. Thank you! Things get iffy when there are other kids involved. You try to do what you think their parents would do or approve of.

Cathy C said...

I take my six year old into the women's restroom with me. There's NO WAY I would send him into a men's room by himself. No way no how. And I would have taken the kids I was chaperoning into the ladies' room too.