Monday, July 14, 2008

Fingers Crossed

When I saw my Ob/Gyn at my 8 week prenatal appointment, she gave me a folder with oodles of brochures about all kinds of tests. I received a folder when I was pregnant with Ricky, but it didn't have all these brochures about tests - it just had all the fun stuff like coupons for baby crap, and the usual information from the hospital where I will be delivering.

I received the special folder because I will be 35 years old at the time of the baby's birth. There are so many genetic screening tests it makes my head spin. Initially, I wasn't interested in any of the tests, but Mark was very interested in at least having one. It is the first trimester screening that uses an ultrasound and blood work to see if the baby has Downs Syndrome or not. They measure the crown to rump length and nucal folds I guess.

My doctor and sonographer - as well as Mark's sister who is also a sonographer for a 5 doctor Ob/Gyn practice all highly recommend this test. So it's reassuring to know that this test is supposed to be good and reliable.

This baby is is a miracle baby - we didn't think it was going to be possible to have another child. I couldn't even think of not having it. Even though I almost 13 weeks, I still check my underwear for blood every time I go to the bathroom. I am still kind of scared.

I am not even thinking of what we would do if we got any type of bad news. I refuse to believe it's even possible for me. If all is well, I guess it will be a relief to us to know that the baby is fine. Right now, I am just praying for a healthy baby.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I'm praying right there with you for a healthy baby.