Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Baby Somersaults

Yesterday was my big Ob/Gyn day - I had a 10am appointment for the first trimester genetic screening and a 1pm appointment with my Ob/Gyn. Kind of busy.

Luckily my sister is in town and was able to go with me. God forbid I get any kind of bad news alone. Mark of course couldn't really take any time off to go with me so my sister is just as good a support.

We met with a genetics doctor first who explained the test and talked about situations that may warrant having further testing. This is all the testing I wanted to have - no long needle in my abdomen please. They had me drink a glass of water and sit in the waiting room for the test to be done. Things became complicated when my sister and I began reminiscing about my wedding and the disastrous limo ride my parents, friends, sister, brother in law and cousins had. Mark and I had our own car and were spared. Nothing like laughing your butt off with a full bladder!

The test seemed to go well. After being spoiled with 3-D ultrasounds at my Ob/Gyn, I was surprised to get a regular ultrasound with this test. I always get nervous at the beginning of an ultrasound because I can't wait to see the heartbeat. It's been a few weeks since my last ultrasound and I don't own a doppler so I'm always nervous those first few moments. I always ask, "Do you see a heartbeat??" thinking please do not say no.

I love seeing that baby on the screen. It did a few somersaults. Lifting its arms this way and that, and changing positions. The freak in me was worried it was going to get tangled up in its umbilical cord. It is still incredible to think that there is a baby growing inside me after all we've been through.

I didn't get specific measurements but my sister peeked for me and didn't see any numbers larger than 3 on there so that is a very good thing. The ultrasound tech wasn't too friendly and was very serious so I didn't want to ask too many questions. I asked her if everything was ok and she said the baby looked fine. If the baby wasn't fine, they would have sent me back to the genetics doctor. But they didn't so I take it to mean all is well with the baby. We get the results in a week and I won't worry too much about it.

1 comment:

beverlyanne said...

Hi Carrie Ann,
Thanks for the knitting encouragement. I am following your pregnancy progress with great excitement.
B.