Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fate Lies in Numbers

The results from my first trimester screening came back and while they cannot promise anything in stone, the results do make me feel better. The nurse and my ob/gyn both reviewed the results with me over the phone, but I am still waiting for the mailing I am supposed to receive from the hospital with my official numbers.

Basically, before I took the test, the baby's chances of having Downs Syndrome was 1 in 289 due to my age (I'm 34 but will be 35 at the time of birth) and other factors. Now, after the test, the chances are 1 in 437. Much better. So there is a 99 3/25% chance that our baby does not have Downs Syndrome. YAY.

The chances of the baby having chromosomal issues trisomy 13 & 18 are 1 in 10,000.

The nuchal translucency was 2.4. A score of 3 or higher is bad. I was alarmed because 2.4 is kind of close to 3 - but my ob/gyn assured me it's fine.

While there are no concrete promises that the baby does not have any issues, I guess the fact that I don't need further testing is a good indication that the baby should be fine. I am really thankful to the man upstairs that the baby seems to be okay.

3 comments:

nancy said...

Good for you. I don't want anyone to go through the hell I just went through!

Lynda said...

Glad all is going well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.