Saturday, August 18, 2007

How Long to Bye, Bye, Binky?


Ricky has been using a binky (pacifier, paci, etc etc) since he was born and now that he is almost two-and-a-half years old, it's time to say goodbye to a beautiful friendship.


I started cutting the ends of them (ok, just one so far) which renders them useless. I have convinced him to give them to the two babies in our playgroup and he has agreed - so I took 2 binkies away for those babies (supposedly) and put them away in the cupboard. He has one binky left.


I want to cut it tonight and I am afraid of what will happen. I am afraid he will be an emotional wreck. I am afraid he won't be able to sleep. He has no other attachments to anything besides the binky for sleeping. When he's not sleeping, he has to wear his Cubs or Boston Red Sox hat.
Any suggestions out there from parents whose kids gave up the binky after the age of 2?

1 comment:

dcm said...

I 'helpled" my son with his addiction by removing them entirely and he cold turkey, or so I thought. Then, he'd mysteriously show up with a binky. He had them stashed away. It took awhile, but I found all of them and disposed of them.