Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's Saturday Everyday Thanks to the Recession

Mark lost his job over a month ago and I feel really guilty admitting that I've enjoyed having him home. I mean, he should really be working somewhere, but it's been very nice to have Saturday everyday and have an extra pair of hands especially now that we have 2 kids.

He lost his job when Teddy was 5 weeks old and since I'm nursing, I was up with the baby every 2 and a half hours. It was exhausting and it was nice to be able to have Mark tend to Ricky while I was taking care of the baby or trying to sneak in a nap.

Mark has been taking Ricky to preschool and picking him up - he was even the parent volunteer twice. Ricky's been loving having Mark home - so much that when Mark said he had to send out more resumes so he could get a job that Ricky cried and said he didn't want Daddy to get a job. It's kind of funny. With the market so bad right now it's hard to say when Mark will get a job. It's actually a bit scary. It seems that if you aren't a nurse, doctor, policeman, fireman, or work at a funeral home, your job could be in jeopardy.

We've been doing pretty well controlling our expenses. My credit card bill was a whopping $151 this month! Probably the lowest it's ever been since I was in college. We put off buying a lot of stuff like clothing for ourselves - but we still buy the boys what they need. We eat restaurant food once a week and I cook at home everyday. The menu kind of sucks - I really need to pour over some cookbooks to make things interesting but I've been kind of busy these days. It's amazing how you can live comfortably on so little and I wish we were doing this all along. Maybe we would be thinner and have fatter bank accounts. But we love eating out - and we were enjoying ourselves so I don't regret it.

So now my dad and stepmom are in town and are staying with us. It's kind of cramped but okay. He is here for 3 weeks and this is the only time this year I get to see him. He lives in the Philippines and comes here once a year to pay taxes and to to all his doctors' appointments. I love my dad but it is hard having guests for more than a week....

I don't really know the point of this blog entry but I guess it makes sense. Saturdays are lazy days and you don't really need to have a point for the day.

1 comment:

The Captain's Wife said...

Found your blog through Nancy's...just wanted to say HI and let you know I am reading...oh and we share a name..spelled differently..but the same name ! I am Karianne (aka The Captains Wife)....nice to meet you Carrie Ann