Monday, March 9, 2009

Clone trooper live with, I do!

I live with a clone trooper - a 4 year old one who wears his helmet while he plays the Lego Star Wars video game and while he walks around our house with his gun. Our house lives and breathes Star Wars - the movies, video games, action figures, you name it. Ricky recites lines from the movies and hums the Imperial March while he plays or sits on the potty.

A few weeks ago, Mark (who claims the first movie was life changing--of course he was 5 at the time) decided it was time to let Ricky watch the Star Wars movies. We waited on the third episode - Revenge of the Sith because it was a bit too violent (i.e. dismembering and decapitating Count Dooku, dismembering and burning Anakin Skywalker, etc.) but eventually watched it with him and fast forwarded the bad parts or covered his eyes.

It's waaaayyy too late to do anything about it now, but I wonder if it was a bad idea to expose a 4 year old to Star Wars already. I guess I was 4 myself when my parents took me to see Episode 4 and they never covered my eyes. Am I crazier than I would have been had they not? Can't really tell.

1 comment:

Hooeyspewer said...

For the record, he was still 3 when you guys introduced him to *Star Wars.* (I'm just jealous because I was already in grade school when it was released).

I can think of a lot of other things that he could like half as much that would be WAY more disturbing. He never got into dumb dinosaur furries or kiddie cartoons that speak at a low verbal skill level, etc.

In the end, I think it was good for him. He's enthusiastic about it, it ignites his creativity (he makes up games, plays with action figures, creates scenarios), the games are good for his hand/eye and reasoning and he's HILARIOUS. I was eating lunch at your house and he sat down, looked at his food and said, "I've got a bad feeling about this." LOL.

BTW - if you engage in light saber battle with him, do take it somewhat seriously. He's not bad with that thing!