Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Adults Need Time-outs Too

The other night I was on my way to pick up Mark from the train station. It was snowing and it was below zero with even lower wind chills. I stopped at a red light and I was in the right lane, right next to the bus stop shelter and there was a man standing there, waiting for the bus. He was in his 20s - 30s.

Suddenly, I had to turn down the radio because it sounded like someone was throwing snowballs at my car or something like that. As it turns out, the man was actually very angry and was punching the bus stop shelter repeatedly and he was yelling at the top of his lungs.

I was terrified and wanted that green light. My car was just 3 feet from an extremely angry person and he was looking at me while he was punching and yelling. I was afraid he was going to start punching out my windows, take my purse, hurt me, or all of the above. I was glad Ricky wasn't with me - because the thought of someone hurting my child is horrible to even imagine.

The light eventually changed and I hit the gas. I felt sorry for the man and wondered what could have caused such behavior. I hope whatever happened to him is resolved and he didn't hurt anyone that night. It really freaks me out that he was taking public transportation and acting this way - the very same public transportation my husband takes to and from work every day.

I see kids have tantrums every day at the stores and it never bothers me. It is normal and their parents or caregivers take care of it. It is incredibly scary when ADULTS have tantrums. There is nobody around to give them time-outs except the police - and they cannot be everywhere all the time.
This just goes to show that you can encounter weirdos anywhere. You just hope and pray that they leave you alone.

No comments: