Sunday, October 14, 2007

Recommended Reading: The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

I really couldn't put this book down!! This is the story of a couple from India who move to Boston in 1968 and create a life there and have children. The book focuses on their eldest son, Gogol and his life here in the States as a first generation American.

I, too, am first generation American and although my parents came here from the Philippines, I was able to identify with many of the same issues Gogol had. Up to now, I had never encountered a book that ever really addressed issues like this - the different language spoken at home, customs, friends, dating, etc.

I was really impressed with the author's style because the book is written in third person. I would usually regard third person to be very difficult in terms of maintaining reader's interest but I was proven wrong in this case. I think my college Writing professor would be very impressed by this book too. I won't really go into a lot of detail about this book because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. All I can say is that this should be on your list of books you want to read.

No comments: