Saturday, June 20, 2009

Timber!!!



We've had some crazy weather in Chicago the past few days. Thunderstorms and tons of rain. Last night it came back again and the wind was pretty bad. Not sure if I mentioned this before, but we're actually in the process of moving to my mom's house this summer - she moved to a condo - and we're going to buy her house once we sell ours and Mark is employed.

Anyways, the storm uprooted this huge pine tree in the backyard. The neighbors say there was a big microburst. This tree is enormous - and it's been there for about 50  years or so. It was this large when we moved in - in 1979 and it's pretty much watched me and my sister grow up. I'm not a big tree hugger or anything, but I must admit I feel sad about it - like my family lost an old friend.

We just went over there to check it out and see what can be done. The utility guys are there, trying to restore power. The tree took out the electricity for the whole block - since last night - and they are having a block party there right now. I should charge admission and have Ricky set up a lemonade stand - there are neighbors from that block and other blocks coming over to take a look. 

We feel bad for the neighbors' garage - it had some damage to it. I guess their insurance has to pay for it under their homeowners policy because it was an act of God. My mom already talked to them and got it figured out. We're just glad nobody got hurt. 

Anyways, the yard is already large, but without the tree, it is mammoth and kind of bare. Should we plant another tree? 

No comments: