Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Easy Comfort Food: Beef Round Steak

I knew the storm was coming and wanted to make some comfort food. So I decided to make some beef round steak in a crock pot.

I found a few recipes on the internet and just made my own based on them. Unfortunately, by the time Mark got home last night and shoveled and was finally ready for dinner, it was soooo late that I forgot to take a picture of my end product. I'll post one tonight - it will be a leftover though. Mark actually really liked it (and yes, he would definitely tell me if he didn't like it) and I'll be making it again.

It's so easy that your kid could make it. These are the recipes I love the most - especially since I have kids - including one baby who likes to climb and give me a heart attack several times an hour.

Here is the recipe:

1.5 pounds of round steak
6 carrots, cut into chunks
1 onion, sliced
1 can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 envelope of dry onion soup
3/4 cup water
6 potatoes
salt and pepper

1. Brown beef. Slice into strips or pieces
2. Put carrots and onions in crock pot. Beef on top. Pour soup, dry soup, and water on top of everything - mixing it a bit.
3. Cook on low 5-7 hours. Mix periodically.
4. Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes.

All the recipes called for putting the potatoes in the crock pot as well, and I decided that putting it on top of a bed of mashed potatoes would taste so much better. And it did. Also, recipes said to mix the soups and water - which didn't make much sense to me. The condensed soup is so thick that mixing it with water without heat did nothing. So didn't bother putting that in the recipe.

This turned out pretty well. Ricky ate the carrots and mashed potatoes but not the steak. He also said he didn't like the sauce. Oh well.

No comments: