Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bam Bam


Teddy just turned 12 months old a few weeks ago and he picked up a great habit of pushing his toys up to the couch, standing on them, and hoisting himself onto the couch!! Over the weekend I found myself doing some housework, looking over, and flying to him just in time before he would fall off the couch - sometimes head first.

When he is awake we play, but I also leave him in the living room surrounded by a barrier - a "safe zone" while I do some housework. Ricky will play with him while they both watch t.v. Now that he is 12 months old and more mobile, I am always checking up on him almost every minute to make sure he's safe, not eating something he shouldn't be eating, not beating up on Ricky or pulling his hair. It's my biggest fear that I would look away for a second and find him choking on something or falling really hard on his head.

He's figured out a way to escape the safe zone and proceed to climb up the 4 stairs onto our kitchen. Mark put a bunch of bins full of clothes and shoes as a barrier and Teddy can PUSH them by himself! I think we need to fill them with bricks.

Not to compare, but Ricky wasn't a climber - nor did he put toys or anything in his mouth that wasn't food. So I didn't freak out so much when he was this age. Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled my little man is so physical and normal. I'm just talking about how scared I am all the time.

I know this is normal for boys and I'm just not used to it. I grew up with a sister and we were so boring - we never climbed trees or anything remotely physical. Teddy is also fond of throwing toys on our hardwood floor so I jump whenever I hear a crash so that's always fun. Shouldn't I be used to this already??

No comments: