Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Crushed By My Childhood Sweetheart: Nick Rhodes


Last Friday, my cousin was able to get me some Duran Duran tickets. Since my husband was at his holiday party for work, I was able to beg my mother to babysit Rick, I went with my cousin to the show.

For those who know me, I have been a fan since grammar school - listening to my big sister's vinyl records with her back in 1984. I loved their music and I loved them - despite all the fluffy hair and make-up, I thought they were hot (well except for Andy -sorry man). My favorite guy was Nick Rhodes - the keyboardist. I thought he was handsome, liked his disposition and bookish ways.
I last saw them a few years back when they played at the House of Blues and I was able to squish my way up to the very front with my husband and only had 1 person standing in front of me. It was my childhood dream come true. It was an amazing show.
This show was good, but nothing prepared me for what I witnessed:
At the end of the show, when the guys came to the front of the stage to take a bow, a girl in the front row handed Nick Rhodes a bouquet of flowers. He seemed to take them reluctantly, and walked off the stage holding them downwards (as opposed to upwards- as you would carry a bouquet you actually cared about) and then he threw them like a piece of garbage across the stage into the back behind the curtains. He didn't even wait til he was out of sight to trash them!! I gasped.
This kind of tainted my larger-than-life view of him all these years. That was really rude to do and I felt so bad for that girl. I suppose I never tried to get backstage passes or tickets to meet & greet because I didn't want my perfect view of them to be tarnished in any way.
This doesn't mean I think he sucks - I guess he is human and has the ability to be a rude jackass just like the rest of us. I guess I just expected more.

5 comments:

Cindy Robinson said...

I'm sorry you had an experience that wasn't pleasant. He is human after all and maybe there was more to the story than you saw in that little moment in time.

From my point of view, Nick Rhodes has always been one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. On many, many occasions, I have had great bits of conversation with him and he always takes the time to sign things or take pictures with fans when the rest of the band may just scurry by people. I have never been disappointed by Nick in nearly 25 years of loving this band and countless times of seeing them after a show.

Hope you get the chance to see them live in 2008! It will be great. They should be back to the Chicago area around May.

Hooeyspewer said...

Wow - shocked that he didn't at least wait until they couldn't be seen by the crowd to toss the flowers. Guy is human, though. We as fans really can't be holding these performers up on any pedestals unless we have had some sort of personal interaction with them. Until that happens, they're just some folks whose work we appreciate, I guess. Sorry he let you down.

Anonymous said...

Did it occur to you that he was throwing them to someone that couldn't be seen, behind the curtain?

Also, not surprising that he carried them facing downwards. Those who know Nick know that he has allergies. He was probably trying not to court a major sneezing fit.

Carrie Ann said...

Thanks to all for your comments. I had forgotten about his allergies that I've read about in bios. That would then make sense - he would probably want to get those flowers away from him as soon as possible- but he did not appear to be throwing to anyone backstage - he looked liked he was trying to make a touchdown pass with them.

beverlyanne said...

I don't know about the tossing, but holding flowers upside down is correct. Any water in the stems gets re-distributed to the flower heads.

From your know-it-all knitter/library friend