Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bloodroot by Amy Greene

In all the craziness, I was able to read Bloodroot by Amy Greene. Our copy of Entertainment Weekly gave it an "A" in its book review section and one of my favorite authors, Wally Lamb, wrote a plug for the book right on its front cover. Those were two compelling reasons for me to read this book.

I admit that I wasn't hooked until page 100. I usually give books til page 40 before I decide I will read it - and because the book received so many good reviews, I pushed through.

The book is pretty dark and depressing, but if you are like me and like that sort of thing once in a while - then this book is definitely for you. The book takes the perspective of different people within a family and it's pretty interesting. It addresses poverty, abuse, and loss. I did enjoy this book but wouldn't say it was a I-can't-put-this-down kind of read.

Knopf Publishing, 2010.

No comments: